McKesson Release 13.0 Release: MMS/MPS Takes a Look
Medical Management Services along with our sister billing company MedPro Solutions has analyzed the McKesson release tips that have been emailed to McKesson users. Our analysis of these tips sent in separate emails, has been compiled and offered in this single document to McKesson users for more concise understanding of their impact.
The top MedPro picks are as follows:
- New General Equivalent Mapping (GEM)
- HPP maps the ICD-9 codes to the ICD-10 codes or vice-versa
- The mapping that is done on the GEM window is based on coding translation dictionaries that were developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) along with the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)Insurance Processing Formats
- Insurance Processing Formats
- An option was added to the insurance formats to indicate that the insurance carrier requires that all charges are submitted with ICD-9 diagnosis codes i.e. Workers Compensation Carriers
- The institutional insurance process has been modified to accommodate 5010 transactions in regard to determining the admit type
- Payment Posting Enhancements
- The payment posting via linking payments enhancement enables the cashier to link a payment to a charge. The linked payment will apply when the charge transfers to patient responsibility
- Filters have been enhanced to allow the filter fields in cashiering to be defined as a “required entry”
- Balance payments can now be controlled via security (i.e. block users from using the FIFO method of applying to an account)
- Charge Posting Enhancements
- The 13.0 release allows the possibility to apply either ICD-9 or ICD-10 codes at the time of charge entry
- A “Default diagnosis code version” ability has been included for the user to identify which version (ICD-9 or ICD-10) will be the focus when posting charges
- ICD-9 and ICD-10 tabs have been included in the cashiering and charge posting windows to allow end users to post the diagnosis codes and external cause of injury codes
- When the ICD-9 or ICD-10 code tab is selected for one field (i.e. – diagnosis code), the corresponding tab will be displayed with all the other fields related to that code (i.e. two diagnosis code versions)
While we have not listed every development McKesson has offered; we have broken down the major enhancements potentially impacting your operations. Medical Management Services will continue to bring users tips and improvements to McKesson products in a way that makes sense to users.
Please visit our McKesson expertise pages and learn more about how we can bring value to your use of McKesson products.